Sunday, March 27, 2011

Typical Sunday

Not sure what I'm gonna write about today.  Don't really have anything interesting to say.  But, I kinda want to reflect on why Sunday turns out to be my favorite day of the week.

In recent years I more or less have developed a routine on Sunday.  Not one written in stone, per se, but a general outline of a day that basically includes similar activities from one week to the next.  Of course, there are exceptions but in general it pretty much follows the same pattern.

Normally, I'll wake up around 8:30 a.m. just in time to watch my favorite show, CBS Sunday Morning.  The show lasts from 9:00 a.m. until 10:30 a.m..  It covers news of the day and then has about five different stories ranging from politics, science, art, entertainment, and history.  The correspondents are enjoyable and make each story unique and interesting.  I learn so much from this show that I've recruited my 14-year-old son, Nicolas, to watch it with me.  Inevitably there is a story which satisfies his interests as well.  The show ends with a peaceful clip of a moment in nature.  It leaves you in a calm state of mind and sets the tone for what Sunday should be about, a day of rest and reflection.

Most Sundays, if my husband is not working, he will spoil me and the kids and make breakfast for us.  Typically it will include eggs, bacon or sausage, and a bagel or toast.  He will serve me breakfast in bed while I am watching my show.  I am so lucky to have a spouse who, after working a full week at a physically demanding job, will take the time on his only day off to treat his wife to something special.  I am one lucky bitch!

After my show and breakfast in bed I usually spend some time grooming myself.  My tasks range from coloring my hair (once every five weeks), tweezing or waxing my eyebrows, or filing the soles of my feet.  Then, it's off to take a shower.  By noon, I'm ready to tackle an activity that is relaxing and enjoyable.

Depending on the weather I could be reading, painting, writing, or going to the movies.  Or, I may even play video games with the kids.  When the weather is nice I may even just sit on the back deck, listen to music, and work on my tan.  The idea is to enjoy, refresh, and get pumped for the upcoming week.

Because we've had brunch, we'll usually have an early family dinner.  By four o'clock, and depending on the season and the weather, we are sitting down as a family to enjoy a nice Sunday meal.  Today, for instance, we will be having homemade spaghetti sauce with meatballs and sausage courtesy of my husband.  He happened to come home yesterday (yes, he worked on Saturday) and made his sauce from scratch.  He invited my mom over and that is what we will be enjoying today for family dinner.  There have been Sundays where I would make roast chicken or an eye-round roast.  During the summer we will cook steak or shish-kebab on the grill.  

After dinner, my mom and I will sit, digest, and play pinochle.  Pinochle is a card game that I've been playing since I was a kid.  My grandfather, whom I called 'Pepa', taught me how to play.  We always played during our visits.  It's funny but one thing that my husband and I have in common is playing pinochle.  It's not a very common game so I think we each thought it was kind of cool that we both liked to play.  I distinctly remember playing in the hospital while I was waiting to be wheeled into surgery for my first C-section.  It helped me cope with my nervousness about having our first child.

When the kids were younger we always made sure that by Sunday night all homework was completed, lunches were made, and everyone was showered and in bed by nine.  Our Sunday routine is like the pretty, tied bow on a gift box.  It wraps up our previous week.  It prepares us for the week ahead where by Monday morning, as we awake to face a new week, a new gift box is ready to be opened.



No comments:

Post a Comment