Saturday, December 24, 2011

Insanity?

I am thinking of that famous saying by Albert Einstein, "Insanity:  doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."  

As I spend the last few days of the month of December in the year 2011 and contemplate my approach to 2012 I feel this message is one I will adopt as my anthem to help me achieve different and better results in my life this coming year.

In the past I have always made a list of 'resolutions'.  Some years it worked.  It kept me on track and helped me reach goals that I may not have if it were not for a list revealing my various commitments in writing.  Some years the list of resolutions seemed to stifle me, get me angry at myself, and leave me with a sense of dread and guilt for not having lived up to my aspirations.

So, this year I resolve to remember to step back, take a chance, and roll the dice.  By getting out of my comfort zone I hope to bring new experiences and growth to my currently mundane life.  Changing behavior (especially when you are my age) is challenging and takes a lot of guts.  It is so easy and comforting to do the same thing over and over.  The flavor of life becomes bland.  Yes, it gets old.  And, some might say, leads you to insanity.

In 2012, I want to add some sweet, a dash of sour, a bit of spice, a pinch of salt, and a hint of umami to my existence.  Off the top of my head here are some things I may venture into:

1.  Traveling to a new place.
2.  Taking a writing class or seminar.
3.  Putting money away in savings.
4.  Working for a steady paycheck.
5.  Buying an affordable car.
6.  Adopting a positive attitude.
7.  Supporting my kids' individual choices.
8.  Helping the less fortunate.
9.  Reading more.
10.Eating less.
11.Keeping my happiness priority one.
12.Exercising body, mind, and spirit through:  walking, yoga, and pilates.
13.Breathing fresh air more than staying inside.
14.Making new friends.
15.Believing in the impossible.

It sounds like this is a list, right?  Well, it is mostly a nebulous guideline.  A wishy-washy, non-commital outline of a new approach to living.  No, not many of these items are measurable so it really doesn't follow the standard of a true goal.  But, that's okay.  It is the beginning of the stretch for me to stop what I did in the past, which may not have worked, and ingrain a new instinct in my modus operandi.

A fresh start for 2012!









No comments:

Post a Comment