Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Biting Off a Little At a Time

It's been one week since I began my new journey toward bikini land (or somewhere in the vicinity).

Great news!  There is 6.8 pounds less of me today than there was last week.  Yay for me!

It was not easy.  I happened to start this adventure just when Aunt Flo came to town and, as usual, I was not a happy camper.  Add to that the mere fact that I was going from 2400 calories a day to 1400 calories a day.  I was a miserable bitch at times.

Getting into the routine of it took a day or two.  I begin each day with my vitamins taken with hot lemon juice and a cup of herbal or chai tea.  Then I have a fruit and or protein.  I seem to be eating about every three hours or so.  This keeps my blood sugar at an even keel and I don't necessarily feel like I'm depriving myself or that I am on a strict diet.  I just have it in my head that I am eating healthy and making better choices.  I'll either have a large salad with protein at lunch or dinner depending on the day.  I've eliminated cooking with salt and have restricted my butter to less than a teaspoon a day.  My salad dressing choices are oil and vinegar or a vinaigrette.  I bake my naked chicken breast (no skin nor bone) with salt-free spices and lemon juice.  I use non-stick cooking spray when I saute or make an omelet.  I have at least one apple a day and if I get famished at night I save at least one starch allowance for my 94% fat free popcorn.  Obviously, I drink at least 64 ounces of water or more.  Needless to say, the bathroom and I are close buddies.

My family has been very supportive.  My son has been eating (and enjoying) the 'new' way I cook dinner.  He likes to try new things anyway and this makes it very easy for me.  My husband is encouraging me by basically staying out of my way and tolerating my bossy ways.  My mother went for a consultation this week and will try a similar program for five weeks.  Having the people closest to you cheer you on is super important when you are trying to make a life change.  I am so lucky that I am loved.

I keep the ideal image of me in my mind when I contemplate how difficult temptations can sabotage good intentions.  So far, I'm proud of the decisions I made.  For instance, last night when we went out to dinner (yes, we continue to live and enjoy life) I took the time to speak with the waitress and really think about the best choices for me.  I was upfront from the start and said I was on a strict diet and had to avoid salt and butter.  I ended up getting a garden salad and steamed shrimp.  It was excellent and I felt proud of myself that I took the time to 'be good'.  The only temptation was skipping the blue cheese but eventually I'll get over it. 

My immediate goal is to take one day at a time and not to beat myself up.  So far, I am scar-free.  But, I'm not going to kid myself.  My journey is long and will have many twists and turns I'm sure.  Adopting these new habits like writing everything down and filling in boxes will help me realize the quantity I consume.

My mission to cut my size in half, thus, my caloric intake must match that as well.  Let me clarify my goal.  Overall, yes, it's true, I hope to be half my size at least 18 months from now.  But, in order to keep my sanity and motivation I must chip off that number in bits of 25 pounds.  So, I am allowing myself 13 weeks to be down by 25 pounds.  And as time goes by and weight is harder to lose, I hope to lose about 10 pounds a month.  But, I will continue to take it one day at a time and I reserve the right to restructure my goals as my journey continues.

Goal for the next week:  Incorporate 30 minutes of exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment