Friday, March 9, 2012

Ageant Saboteur

It happened last week.  It was inevitable, of course, but it came as a surprise nonetheless.

Ageant Saboteur knocked on my door.  He tested me with questions.  And he questioned my motives.  He tested my will.  And he tempted me with his nonchalance.   He did it with such cunning and prowess.  He had masterful skill.

After six weeks of adopting a new, healthy lifestyle I am 16.8 pounds less than I was when I started.  But, more impressive is, perhaps, the total inches I've lost:  22.  It is a combination of measuring:  neck, upper arm, upper chest, bust, rib cage, waist, hips, butt, thighs, knees, and calves.  So, it averages to about two inches for each measurement.  I have noticed a bit of a difference and while I only lost one half a pound last week, knowing that I am losing inches helps to push me along my journey.  I will be going to Diet Center until the end of the month when the local office closes.  That gives me another three weeks to lose at least a total of 20 pounds.  It sounds reasonable but we'll take it one day at a time.

So, getting back to my little sabotage incident...

My older son, who is home for spring break, accompanied us to dinner at Applebee's.  Applebee's has a pretty decent menu selection for folks watching their calories so it is on our list of frequented restaurants.  I mentioned that I no longer order appetizers but that he was free to indulge.  And, he asked me why.  I said something like, "You didn't notice I lost a little weight or that I'm trying to eat healthy?" And his reply was, "No."

This kind of threw me for a loop since he hasn't seen me in a month and you would notice if I wasn't eating my daily bagel or having a bunless burger.  But not him.  He's in his own little college world.  He then proceeded to order mozzarella sticks and upon their arrival to the table, he offered me one.  Hello?  Did I not just finish telling him that I was eating healthy?!  He didn't quite insist I eat it but then he proceeded to question my motives for trying to become healthier.  I reiterated that:

  • I want to live longer so that I may see my grandkids one day.
  • I want to feel better.
  • I want to look better.
  • I want to be able to wear a bathing suit on the beach and not embarrass the people I'm with.
  • I want to lose weight.
  • I want to be able to move more.
  • I want to be able to travel if I need to.
To me these all seem like quite justifiable reasons to indulge in a healthy lifestyle.  But my little ageant saboteur was not the least bit impressed.

It was a difficult lesson for me to learn that even some people you love (and who love you) will not always buy into what you choose to do with your life.  There will be a 'devil's advocate' to question your motives and make you sit back and contemplate the reasons for your actions.  I realize it is not a bad thing to be around someone with opposing views because it can reinforce your convictions.

So, I say, 'thank you', to all the folks who will try to sabotage or put obstacles in my way.  I will come out stronger and a winner (or at least the biggest loser)!

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there and remember you are doing this for YOU, not for anybody else. My husband is the same way. I'll mention that I lost some weight and he'll just say, "That's okay hon, but you know you look just fine to me." It's frustrating because we want other people to notice and appreciate our hard work.

    ReplyDelete