Monday, December 20, 2010

Saving My Life By Avoiding The Traditional

Avoidance - the act of keeping away from; preventing the occurrence of; refraining from.
Procrastination - the act of putting off; dawdling; delaying.
Oh, okay, now I see the difference.  Avoidance has a sense of dread attached to it while procrastination is more like being lazy about doing something.

I hate 'shoulda, coulda, woulda's'.  They always make me feel inadequate and less than.  But maybe not so much as it relates to the following prompt from the #reverb10 project:


December 20 - Beyond avoidance. What should you have done this year but didn't because you were too scared, worried, unsure, busy or otherwise deterred from doing? (Bonus: Will you do it?)  (Author:  Jake Nickell):

What SHOULD I have done?!  Get a job, of course!  Why didn't I?  Well, duh, it should be obvious!  But let me list the excuses, anyway:
 
1.   Unemployment, throughout the United States of America, is hovering around 10%.
2.   I am competing with people who have already been in the job market and gainfully (until recently) employed.
3.   I despise corporate America and all of it's backstabbing, politics, and employee disloyalty.
4.   I have been out of the traditional job market for so long (14 years) that my skills are antiquated, at least when it comes to technology.
5.   I can't handle being politically correct; it masks the real me.
6.   I can't just be a follower like the other worker bees and be happy about being told what to do step by step; it stifles my creativity.
7.   Holding my thoughts and feelings inside takes too much energy and I might just explode in an office setting.
8.   I am too scared to be sucked back into the daily 9 to 5 grind where you are the puppet in someone else's play.
9.   I am worried that since I am so desperate for money that I will take the first crappy job that comes along and then seriously consider suicide.
10. I am too busy with writing, AVON, and my managerial and motherly duties to take on a full-time job.

I am not sure if these are valid reasons to avoid dipping my toe into the traditional job market but they are truthful.  Once leaving the corporate world and venturing out on your own as an 'entrepreneur', it is difficult to take a step back in time and then take on the role of the obedient team player and execute the play per the coach's call from the sideline.  I've dabbled in so many different ventures these past 14 years.  I've worn many different hats including:  Organizer, Mortgage Broker, E-bay Seller, and Independent AVON Sales Representative.  They were all growing experiences.  In the end I realized I am not much of a salesperson; I take it way too personally.  But, I've also learned that I can do whatever I put my mind to.
 
So, the question is, will I get a job in 2011?  Probably not.  Will I begin a financially profitable career as a writer?  Yes!








No comments:

Post a Comment