Thursday, December 9, 2010

Who Needs a Big Party When We Have Each Other?

This may be an exercise in grasping at straws to see what I can come up with to even do this reflection a smidgen of justice.  But, here it goes.

December 9 - Party.  What social gathering rocked your socks off in 2010?  Describe the people, music, food drink, clothes, shenanigans.  (Author:  Shauna Reid).:

Can I just say that we never go out?!  I mean we, as a couple, do not socialize.  So, we are not party people.  We barely even celebrate birthdays, even our kids' birthdays.  Very rarely did we have a party which extended beyond our immediate family.  Mostly it is due to the timing of the kids' birthdays.  Justin's birthday is during the summer, near the fourth of July, when schools are closed and people are on vacation.  Nicolas' birthday is two days after Christmas; again, during the holidays and when people may be traveling.  So, we never went crazy having a bunch of kids over the house or picking a venue with an extended guest list.


There is a day this past year that does come to mind, however, which was quite memorable and special in its own little way.  Even with limited funds (which is always the case) we were able to have fun and incorporate most of the elements of a well-rounded social gathering.


September 24th was my mother's 70th birthday.  We had quite a day planned and the schedule was tight.  In the morning I took my mother to IHOP (International House of Pancakes) just as a fluke and to fuel our bodies for the busy day ahead.  We had never been to this particular establishment although we had been to other IHOP restaurants years ago.  We were happy to see a portion of the menu applicable to Senior's and a lower-calorie option listing for me on the menu as well.  When we were initially greeted and seated at our table the hostess asked us what brought us to the establishment and I innocently mentioned that we were celebrating my mom's birthday.  After we enjoyed our healthy breakfast and before we received our check we heard a commotion in the restaurant.  The other patrons started clapping and so my mom and I joined the other's while looking around to see what was happening.  Before we knew it, our waiter and his peers arrived at our table with a hot fudge sundae and one lit candle in the middle of the dish.  My mom and I looked at each other in disbelief and amazement.  We started laughing and I think she even got a little teary-eyed.  Hot fudge sundae happens to be one of my mom's favorite desserts and she willingly shared her sweet birthday treat with me.


I took some pictures of her enjoying her special moment at IHOP with my cell phone camera.  We got a kick out of taking them and then sharing the pictures with the rest of the family.  We still can't get over the surprise and fun we had that day.  Was it a party?  No, but it was a wonderful celebration of a special birthday with yummy food and an unexpected birthday wish sung by complete strangers.

2 comments:

  1. Very sweet!!!
    I found you on the December Blog Hop on Bloggymoms! Happy to be following you!

    Anna, The Pilot's Wife
    Follow My Blog At:
    http://www.pilotwife.blogspot.com
    Enter Weekly Drawing for a Free Candle!
    http://pilotwife.blogspot.com/p/free-candle-drawing.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for following; I will reciprocate in kind.

    ReplyDelete